Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Talk with Mr. Satyarthi....

This past Tuesday, I had the wonderful experience of being able to talk to Kailash Satyarthi over the phone.  We talked about a variety of things, which I'll detail a little bit more in this post. Remember, I profiled him here in a previous post. Mr. Satyarthi has dedicated his life to fighting child labor on a global scale.

Mr. Satyarthi told me that while child labor is slowly being eradicated in India, especially in rural areas, it still is a very prevalent problem, and that law enforcement is just as important as the law when dealing with this issue. India is soon going to institute key amendments to its Constitution that prohibit any child under 14 from working.

His organization has set up numerous campaigns and fundraisers, as well as conducted several raids on child labor hotspots, freeing children, rehabilitating them, and educating them in the process. He also told me ways that I can help - Getting involved in campaigns, writing, and outreaching. We even discussed setting up a new program - 'Child Ambassadors' - For which I could be an inaugural member.

It was a true honor talking to Mr. Satyarthi, and one that I wanted to share with you. We can all learn a little something from this incredibly kind and courageous man.


No comments:

Post a Comment